HOW I PAINTED MY FRIDGE with annie sloan chalk paint





Yes I painted our old fridge with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint






 
BEFORE                      AFTER
My fridge had some issues, both handles were broken and 
there were small rust stains all over the front coming through
 the old paint. It bothered me I could never get it to look clean
because of these spots. It was finally time to do something so
 I decided to paint it. "In the OLDEN DAYS" our option to
 paint a fridge was to use an oil based spray and that meant
having to go outside to do it. Now we have ANNIE SLOAN 
CHALK PAINT that adheres to just about anything, (I've put
 this to the test many time) including old white fridges and it
 can be done inside.


 Before I started to repaint the fridge I considered adding 
some details. I got out some of my appliques and trim pieces
 and started building detail on the front of the door.



Once I had the trim adhered I started to paint the fridge with
 ANNIE SLOAN PURE WHITE at that point it looks so nice
 and clean compared to the bottom half

TIP: I used double sided foam tape to adhere the 
light weight appliques and trim.
OPTION: paint inside the frame with ANNIE SLOAN 
GRAPHITE to make a chalk board


I like white, but this is where I started to deviate from the
 plan. Why not experiment a little after all it's only paint and
 we can always repaint if I need.

#1. So the next step I took was to added some ANNIE 
SLOAN PROVENCE over the white with a big brush, in a 
cross hatch motion (seen above). 
#2. Then I added some ANNIE SLOAN CREAM
(below left) on the raised parts.
#3. Once that was all dry I clear waxed everything
(below right).

    

Now I bet I could make the fridge look like
a CHATEAU CHIC French cabinet ...
***********************************************



ANNIE SLOAN DARK WAX could help with that.


TIP: I use a rubber glove when working with dark wax.

The dark wax was pushed into every crevice and then wiped
away with a paper towel, leaving behind the look you see below. 

TIP: If you find that the dark wax is too
DARK after wiping away, you can use more clear wax to remove and lighten the color.




The last 2 things I did was to dry brush some more Pure
 White over the Provence and follow up by waxing everything 
with clear wax. I used the same wide 3 inch chip brush
for both these jobs one after the other to help everything
 blend together, no washing between.


While I was working on the project we noticed a habit was 
forming to open the door by pulling on the edge between the
 2 doors. The original plastic handle was broken in a couple
 places with jagged edges and I had gotten cut from it twice so
 the handles never went back on, we don't even miss them.


We had considered buying a new fridge but 
at this time this was the better choice for us.


************************************************
Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any vintage hardware for your next project.

CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
       


Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware